I love any excuse to make something delicious. Christmas, Mother’s Day, Arbor Day, it doesn’t matter to me as long as I can make something. This year my St. Patrick’s day was also inspired by another holiday, pi day.
I’ve seen a lot of recipes that utilize the marshmallows in lucky charms, but seem to neglect the poor cereal. All I can think of is that lonely box of de-marshmallowed cereal. So I utilized the cereal to make a pressed crust to form the base of the pie.
A few tips for making this as well. You don’t need to warm up the ice cream before mixing it, that’s why I used the stand mixer. If you let the pie sit overnight the marshmallows soften up nicely from the moisture but still add texture. Also, gel food colorings like americolor are best for this sort of thing, and you can change up the color or flavor of the ice cream for other holidays.
Lucky Ice Cream Pie
Lucky Charms crust
- 4 ounces lucky charms cereal, marshmallows set aside
- 3 ounces butter, melted
- pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons rainbow sprinkles
- Place cereal in a food processor and process until broken in to small pieces.
- Transfer cereal to a bowl and mix in remaining ingredients.
- Press crust mixture evenly in to a pie tin.
- Bale for 8 minutes. Cool completely before use.
Marshmallow ice cream filling
- 1 gallon vanilla ice cream
- 1 1/2 cups lucky charms marshmallows
- 1 1/2 cups Marshmallow fluff
- green food gel coloring
- Place 3/4 of the ice cream in a stand mixer with 3 drops of green food coloring. Mix until evenly colored and smooth.
- Quickly fold both marshmallows in to the ice cream.
- Place the filling in the cooled pie shell, and carefully spread evenly in the shell.
- Freeze for at least 2 hours.
Whipped cream cloud topping
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup lucky charms marshmallows
- gold dragees
- rainbow sprinkles
- Whip heavy cream and powdered sugar until stiff but not over whipped.
- Place in a piping bag fitted with a large round tip.
- Pipe various size dollops across the top of the pie, covering the ice cream.
- Sprinkle with gold dragees, rainbow sprinkles and extra lucky charms marshmallows.