Happy national ice cream day! I couldn’t let the day pass without celebrating one of my favorite foods! Because I can’t just do things the simple way, and make a regular banana split, I decided to make a banana split cake, made from layers of banana chiffon cake, 3 flavors of ice cream, homemade sauces, and topped with cherries.
I would recommend starting this at least one day before you need it. The cake components need time to set, and shouldn’t be rushed. I also recommend making the chocolate sauce right before you assemble the cake, otherwise it will thicken up too much and won’t be pourable.
BANANA CHIFFON CAKE
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ c granulated sugar divided
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- ¾ c water
- 7 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Separate eggs, placing the whites in the bowl of a mixer and the yolks in a large mixing bowl.
- Add ½ cup of sugar and the cream of tarter to the whites.
- Using a whisk attachment, whip until stiff peaks form.
- While the whites whip, add the mashed bananas, oil, water and vanilla to the yolks. Whisk until well combined.
- Add the flour, remaining cup of granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt to the yolk mixture.
- Whisk until well combined and smooth.
- Once the whites have come to stiff peaks, fold the whites in to the batter carefully but thoroughly.
- Spray the bottom only of 3-9” round cake pans, and line with parchment.
- Separate batter evenly between the 3 pans.
- Bake at 350 until golden brown, and the middle of the cake springs back to the touch, or a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in to the middle of the cake.
- Once cooled, refrigerate the cakes until cold.
PINEAPPLE OR STRAWBERRY SAUCE
- 1 ¼ c crushed pineapple or thawed frozen strawberries
- ¼ c water
- ¼ c sugar
- 1 T pectin
- Place fruit and water in a pot and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- In a separate bowl, stir together sugar and pectin, add to the boiling fruit.
- Stir constantly for 20 minutes, until thickened slightly.
- Skim off any foam.
- Refrigerate until use.
- 8 oz chopped dark chocolate
- 10 oz heavy cream
- Place chopped chocolate in a heat proof bowl.
- In a small saucepan, bring cream to a boil over medium heat.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Whisk until incorporated and glossy.
- Cover the surface with plastic wrap, hold until it is just cooled but still pourable.
- 1 pint chocolate ice cream
- 1 pint strawberry ice cream
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 1 ½ c heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp powdered sugar
- Maraschino cherries with stems
- Chopped peanuts
- Banana cake layers
- Pineapple sauce
- Strawberry sauce
- Chocolate sauce
- Let the ice cream sit out until soft but not too melted.
- Line the 9” cake pans with parchment. One at a time, place the whole pint of ice cream in a cake pan and spread out in an even layer. Repeat with remaining 2 pints and pans.
- Place the cake layers, top side down in each of the pans. Freeze until solid, about 2 hours.
- Once the layers are set, and you’re ready to build, starting with the strawberry layer, peel the parchment off the cake layer Run a knife along the edge of the cake and ice cream to loosen the sides.
- Carefully run hot water over the bottom of the pan, using your hand to support the cake, then tap the pan on the counter until the layer comes out.
- Place the layer on your serving plate, ice cream side up, and remove the parchment ( I also use a cake board under the cake, but it’s not mandatory).
- Spread the strawberry sauce evenly over the layer, letting some drip down the side.
- Repeat the steps with the vanilla ice cream layer and pineapple sauce.
- Finish with the chocolate layer and chocolate sauce.
- Freeze the built cake while you prep the remaining items, and you’re ready to serve.
- Whip the cream with the powdered sugar until stiff. Place in a piping bag with a large star tip.
- Chop the peanuts.
- Pull out the cherries and allow them to dry briefly in a paper towel.
- Once you’re ready to serve, pipe several large rosettes around the top of the cake, as well as one in the center.
- Sprinkle the chopped peanuts over the whipped cream.
- Top each rosette with a cherry.